| |
| |

|

 

The building which currently houses the Sandusky County Historical Society Museum was built in 1884. The cost of the Victorian style home was $14,000, and was considered to be the finest home in Fremont. It was a wedding present for Carrie June, the daughter of Mr. And Mrs. David June, upon her marriage to Martin Holderman on September 10, 1884. The wedding was held at the June home, which at the time was located on the corner of Park Avenue (then known as Main Street) and Birchard Avenue. That home was removed in 1914. The reception was held in the newly constructed residence.

Another beautiful reception was held in the home after the marriage of Clarrisa Marie Holderman to Doctor Marcel Wesley Sherwood of Texas on June 22, 1912.

For many years the home was known as the Holderman home, and remained in the family until 1942, when it was sold by the heirs to the Beth Israel Congregation. It served as a religious, educational and social center for the Jewish community of Fremont and the surrounding area. Declining membership was a deciding factor in selling the property.

In 1977 a strong wind caused structural damage to the porch, which had to be removed. The Sandusky County Historical Society purchased the property in 1981, enabling the organization to house their various artifacts under one roof. In addition, a large room on the first floor serves as a meeting room for programs and lectures.

Researched and written by Alice Plihall
 

The Sandusky County Historical Society was formed on June 6, 1874. We believe we are the second historical society formed in the State of Ohio. Among the founders was Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States who served as the Society's first secretary. The original name of the society was the Sandusky County Pioneer and Historical Association.
 
Sandusky County Historical Society Museum, 514 Birchard Avenue, Fremont, Ohio 43420
PH: 419-332-0303 or  Gloria Miller at 419-332-9527 or Fred Recktenwald at 419-332-7558  |  Email

Website designed & maintained by WAMH Design, LLC, site hosted by Computer Resources